[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Avi Alkalay avi at alkalay.net
Wed Apr 21 17:59:03 EEST 2004

> LR like any other backend is unrelated to that, it doesn't provide
> editing
> software nor information and to just mimic a key-value registry in
> filesystem
> doesn't take you too far. You're probably thinking about somthing that
> looks
> similar to this?: http://config4gnu.sourceforge.net/screenshots

This is a dead project because it wanted to solve the UNIX configuration
nightmare (think on your mother using Linux) in a too broad way. I
investigated that, and actually have one of its contributors telling me
that "probably a simple library to get and set semanticless key/values on
disk will have a good balance of usefull-and-possible". This was a key
opinion to abandon the daemon-oriented part of the work.

LR helps in nothing if there is no other language bindings, D-BUS,
KConfig, GConf interoperability, old software patches, and specially
linuxconf-like software to consistently admin the system.

I just received an e-mail about a work in progress of a Ruby binding.