[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Wed Apr 21 18:55:00 EEST 2004

> Big picture?  I think you're confused about who is missing the big
> picture.  LR doesn't solve any of the problems in that big picture while
> I and many others have repeatedly tried to explain to you all the
> problems it adds to that picture.

It doesn't alone, I agree. But it is a base for an overall solution.

> See my other email regarding why that performance hit is a *real*
> problem, and how it can affect more than just speed.  Users want speed.
> Users hate waiting 10 seconds for system bootup when other systems can
> manage it in 3 seconds.  Users like their battery life on laptops.
> Users don't bloody care what format options are stored on disk.  LR
> isn't mandatory for config tools since config tools already exist for
> pretty much every daemon/system-setting in existance, they just aren't
> common because the *UI* sucks.

It may be a *real* problem, and I want to address it. Any help?
Regarding speed at boot time, please se an e-mail I just sent, about Bash
speed.

The UI doesn't suck. The underneath work they have to do sucks, and this
is why they suck. It is simply to hard to programatically edit a human
readable file.

> Trying to explain these problems to you is like debating with a brick
> wall.  You keep ignoring everything I and others say, convinced you've
> found that magic bullet that will solve all UNIX configuration problems
> that somehow has never been thought of before in 30+ years of UNIX
> history.  Realize there are problems with LR, realize there is no reason
> for us to accept those problems, and realize that if you really want to
> help UNIX configuration you're going to have to step up to the plate and
> solve *all* those problems, satisfactorily.  A registry system is an
> excellent idea.  The implementation, design flaws, and lack of truly
> useful features in LR isn't going to make a system-wide registry a
> reality.  Sorry if reality doesn't work out for you...

When I go visit customers used to Windows, and really wanting to use
Linux, they feel UNIX configuration problems are *real* problems. And
honestly their opinion is much more relevant then ours, a group of
hackers.

No I don't ignore. I really take it for thinking while I drive, or take
shower, etc.

LR is not that magic bullet, and will never be. The community is, when
building an ecosystem for configuration.
But I see the programs ecosystem is stuck in the stupidly hard task of
reading, understanding, and changing human readable files, consistently
and distribution independent.
Don't you think ?

Thank you,
Avi