Translating freedesktop software

Christian Rose menthos at menthos.com
Thu Apr 22 15:29:23 EEST 2004

tor 2004-03-25 klockan 22.57 skrev Ole Laursen:
> >> So what's the status i18n-wise? There's no update in the GNU
> >> Translation Project? Should I try to get write access to the
> >> Freedesktop repository instead to keep the Danish translation updated?
> >
> > Grr.. I can't figure out to update the .pot file there, and quite
> > frankly, I forgot to update the pot file.  I do update the pot files as
> > they arrive, though it's possible I missed one.
> >
> >> If the project has been scrapped in the TP, please remove it from there.
> >
> > It's currently the 'correct' way to translate this package, but I'm
> > hating it.  If we can find a way to get translators access to CVS I'd be
> > all for it.
>
> It's fine with me - I hate the robot too. Who do I nag? Havoc?
>
> The thing is that this is becoming a hot avocado. GNOME 2.6 is out
> soon, and Nautilus is going to look suboptimal without the translated
> file types.
>
> One problem with dropping the Translation Project is the lack of
> status pages. But perhaps we can persuade Carlos of the GNOME
> translation status pages fame to extend his magic to Freedesktop too.

Sorry for dropping in so late in the discussion...

I don't think status pages is the biggest problem with setting up a
seperate Freedesktop.org Translation Project, with translators
committing translations directly into Freedesktop.org CVS. Status pages
can be produced and improved by anyone with access to CVS.

The biggest immediate problem would be having a CVS account application
process that can cope with hundreds of translators needing CVS accounts.
This can only be improved by the people with the necessary powers to do
this: the fd.o admins.

Currently the situation seems very far from being that capable. I don't
think many translators have applied for fd.o CVS accounts already, but
to the best of my knowledge still *noone* has received any CVS account.
I myself have applied twice by now, without ever hearing anything back.

Given this, any proposal of setting up a Freedesktop.org Translation
Project with commits to CVS instead of using the Translation Project can
probably best be described as an utopia right now: Would we do this,
with the current CVS account process that fails to process even the
smallest number of account requests, we would face a regression in
translation support that would make computer software developed in the
seventies look excellently localized in retrospect.

Christian