Gnome Programming & App Development Theory & Practice

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon Apr 26 18:14:00 EEST 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 07:26:41AM -0700, Derek Neighbors was heard to remark:

> Linas I believe continues to dismiss GNUe because he doesn't like
> Python. That is of course my humble opinion.

No, I don't 'dis-' GNUe; you should keep working on it, more power to ya.
And its not that I dislike python ...

The problem is more of a (real-or-perceived) barrier of integrating
gnome/C programs with python, especially if those programs are already
integrated with another language (e.g. scheme, or java ... or C# etc.)

For this kind of integration, I worry about dependency hell,
module API's that change, bloat (pulling in megabytes of code
so as to get access to kbytes of desired function), cross-language
debugging, etc. Its just scary.

This is a real issue not just for python, but any other language
that Havoc daydreams about for the future of Gnome ...

--linas