mime type naming conventions for applications

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue Apr 27 12:17:34 EEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:19:40AM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tue April 27 2004 11:02, you wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:59:49AM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > It's application/x-vnd.<vendor>.<application>.<type> what I can see. The
> > > <vendor> part is a bit tricky, in KDE we use "kde" as vendor.
> >
> > So what's the tricky part? ;)
>
> Technically KDE isn't a vendor, and it becomes murkier if three guys sit
> together and write a Qt application. What are you going to use as vendor
> string then? Perhaps we could maintain a repository on freedesktop and let
> "xdg" be used as vendor string for people that register their OSS application
> mimetypes with freedesktop.

Hmmm.

xdg as an overloaded term is something I'm worried about - hence my
creation of freedesktop@ and freedesktop-announce at . If it's for general
usage, then just use 'fdo'.

However, if you want it to be administered (formally or by rough
consensus) by the group that currently manages the current standards
(the powerbrokers on xdg@), then use 'xdg'.

But please, by all means, steer clear of the continuing abuse of 'xdg'.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org