Configuration API

Lars Hallberg spam at micropp.se
Thu Apr 29 00:56:19 EEST 2004

Dave Cridland [Home] wrote:

> On Wed Apr 28 18:36:33 2004, Lars Hallberg wrote:
>
>> Dave Cridland [Home] wrote:
>>
>>> I'd prefer to see evidence that namespace clashes are a real and
>>> present problem, before splitting the namespace like that.
>>

>> I think it's an exelent idé, that kan give us a common way to access
>> the config without steping on eachothers toes!
>>

> If there's an absolute need, then fine. But I can't see one, unless
> there are pre-existing namespace collisions.

The big win, as I see it is that anyone owning a domainname can put ther
config under the cheeme without hassel.

Without interfeering with anyone else, nor with any efort to
standardisize important desktop config under freedesktop.org, or any
efort to standardizise different non-desktop stuff under other domain name.

Then apps of corse have to migrate from ther own setings to the
standardizised ones as they mature - but thats needed anyway!

I see three uses (withot thinking to hard) for this api:

 * Apps themself reading ther config. Apps don´t need this as they know
ther nativ format. But the win for the apps that do is that they esaly
thru a compiltime switch can use diferent bakends, and gain network
transparent config or whatewer. Only some apps need notifikation and the
ability to update config.

* Config tools, both simple and advanced.

* Validation tools that check the config for sanity end known sekurity
holes with diferent roulebases, possably updatet automatikly from
trusted source. Kan warn, and possably take aktion.

So the api shuld probably be split in diferent 'parts' (interfaces?),
that a backend kan implement some or all of, and that different apps and
frontend can use some or all of.

At least this parts:

* Read values from the config.

* Store values (and atomic sets of values).

* Aktivation of changes (tell postfix to reread its config).

* Live notifikation.

/LaH