Configuration API

Dave Cridland [Clues] dave.cridland at clues.ltd.uk
Wed Apr 28 17:10:52 EEST 2004

On Wed Apr 28 11:50:12 2004, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> one. However, due to potential namespace clashes, the current desktop APIs
> would probably have to prefix all the keys (maybe GNOME and KDE both
> define /system/proxy to mean different things, for example).

I think it'd be good to analyse whether these really exist - it'd be a
terrible shame to go to the effort of unifying configuration only to seperate
it by namespace. Ideally, an app which can be built with either KDE or GNOME,
for instance, should have identical configuration in both.

I'm not actually certain of how that would ultimately help.

In any case, I suspect that differences in the data models employed will be
harder work to solve than namespace collisions.

Dave.