UniConf (was: Scheduling subsystems (crontab, at) and the desktop)

Patrick Patterson ppatters at nit.ca
Sun Aug 1 17:06:12 EEST 2004

Hi Thomas:

On Saturday 31 July 2004 08:14, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> Issues:
>
> - Each application builds up its own namespace at startup. This seems to
>   mean that the backend used is determined by the application, not the
>   user. I should be able to tell all my applications to store config in a
>   remote database, or in local .ini files, or whatever, and have all
>   applications do that. Obviously this is possible, but we need a standard
>   way to do it, preferably in a library.

Actually, what you want here is already possible - all clients could use slp:
or tcp:localhost for the moniker, to connect to the daemon. The daemon would
then know about about the remote database, ini files, etc.

> - We need to define shared keys and arrange a namespace that people can
>   add to without collisions.

Granted...

> - "Computers are fast". Still, at login you have a lot of applications
>   reading in a lot of settings. Some benchmarks would be reassuring.

Ok, we'll see what we can do...

> - How tied up with wvstreams is uniconf? It doesn't look like there's a
>   separate release, or a way to build it separately. It would be good to
>   be able to try it out on its own.

We're currently working on breaking the two of them out, since UniConf is
really a stand alone application and a specification where the current
implementation uses WvStreams.

> - Is anyone else using UniConf?

To the best of my knowledge, umm, no :)

But, we're working on fixing this....