Generating menus with desktop-menu-tool

romildo at uber.com.br romildo at uber.com.br
Wed Aug 4 07:02:15 EEST 2004

Hello.

I am looking for help on how desktop-menu-tool from
desktop-file-utils can be used to generate a menu from a
description file ~/.config/menus/applications.menu.

Is it just the command line?

$ desktop-menu-tool --print applications.menu
Applications : <missing GenericName>
 Office : <missing GenericName>
  AbiWord Word Processor : <missing GenericName>

I was expecting more complete information from the
output of desktop-menu-tool, with the exec command
and the icon file, for instance. Then I would be
able to generate another output tailored to
specific window managers.

Is it possible to have more complete information
output by desktop-menu-tool?

I could not find any example on how to use it.
Maybe I am not calling it the correct way,
and I would like to hear from others about
this subject. Maybe with examples of how
to use desktop-menu-tool.

Regards.

Romildo

PS: Are there other tools to generate menus from
    a desktop menu specification?