protocol handling spec?

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Tue Aug 10 01:47:30 EEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:25:28AM +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:

> As a user, i want the protocol to matter for witch app to start.
> Probably it's enuf for me to be able to say - for this protocol,
> *always* use this app.
>
> For exampel, I want gqview to start for jpeg images genaraly, but if
> it's a http uri I want firefox to start, so I esaly can brows related
> pages. I want firwfox even if it is a mediatype firefox don't handel
> internaly, just to get the dialogbox asking me wheter to download or
> start the 'normal' mimetype viewer!

Yowza!  Don't do that!  If you really want to have two ways of viewing a
jpeg - which seems like a reasonable thing to want - then your MIME handler
should maybe have two separate operations.  One can be "View", and another
can be "View Embedded in my application" (ie konqueror).

Hey, look!  KDE already did that.  Darn it, all the good ideas are already
taken.

Have fun,

Avery