DM communication standard

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Aug 10 02:16:36 EEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:19:56AM -0700, George Lebl wrote:
> I will take a look at it ...

thanks.

> But I'm really not keen on using fifo's rather then a single socket.

i think you forgot too much. ;)
fifos are the old way and they suck.
the new way are unix sockets, just like in gdm. not one socket, as i use
the path for both identifying and authenticating the client (you liked
this, remember? :).

> Since the only reasonable application that ever wants to call this is
> the session manager I don't see this as a big issue.

hmm. for the fast user switching stuff i will need (almost) the same
code in kicker, kdesktop and kdesktop_lock. and then of course the
shutdown stuff in ksmserver. this multiplied with gdm ... sounds like a
candidate for a library.

> I think in the star trek future we should be using d-bus. [...] Since
> I think this will happen at some point, I consider any other change in
> protocol temporary and thus unnecessary and a complete waste of time
> [...].

uhm, well, for gdm that's sort of true. do whatever you want ...