keyboard shortcuts

David Faure dfaure at
Wed Aug 11 22:27:26 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 21:16, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > I assume that whenever you use the keyboard based text selection you firstly
> > use the mouse to point to the relevant area (focus selection on the text
> > area)?!
> Google moves the focus automatically to an entry box, and other
> well-designed forms may do the same.  If I pop up a new Mozilla
> tab in google and the focus jumps automatically to the entry box, then I
> start shifting rapidly through my tabs, it'll *stop* on the google tab
> because my focus is on an entry box there.

This is why konqueror has Ctrl+'[' and Ctrl+']' as shortcuts for cycling through
tabs (and apparently Ctrl+',' Ctrl+'.', mostly useful for US-keyboard users).

Shift+arrows really only works in konsole since there's no cursor that can select
text that way there; ksirc uses e.g. Alt+arrows to cycle through tabs,
and Alt+shift+arrows to swap them. But Konqueror can't use those:

> I don't think it's going to work.  I think alt-left and alt-right are
> available, however.

They are common accels for Back and Forward in web browsers :(

I don't think there's a simple solution to this (do our keyboards have not enough keys?)
and I don't think this is a topic for xdg@ either (it's not even standardized within
KDE applications yet, how could it be standardized across different environments?)

David Faure, faure at, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE,
Konqueror (, and KOffice (