Current desktop detection / app access

Michael Meeks michael at ximian.com
Thu Aug 12 12:02:57 EEST 2004

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 18:59 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > 	I guess we're going to have to support that going forward instead of
> > something far more structured, pleasant and standardised.
>
> 	We had a private email discussion in June where I was left with the
> feeling that
>
>   a) you had re-read the original mails and now understood the reasons
>      why we thought that a "hang your hack here" $DESKTOP environmental
>      variable would do more harm than good

	Well; possibly I've forgotten; As I recall it was about encouraging the
creation of new library/data standards etc. by avoiding the easy - huge-
bang-for-little-buck approach now. Possibly I forgot which explains my
annoyance. As I recall, perhaps we got to some mid-way point where
people were prepared to accept some compromise like some X property
specifying the preferred toolkit, file-selector, print dialog, button
order etc. - was that so ?

>   b) you understood that ignoring the point people were trying to make
>      and doing things like accusing them of "acute willingness to
>      assist" just frustrates any possibility of having a productive
>      discussion

	I guess I'm just horribly frustrated by the lack of progress / positive
interest when it comes to formalising something useful. Sorry for being
over-critical.

>   c) you were going prepare a specification for a solution to your
>      specific problem along the lines of $DESKTOP_LAUNCH or the solution
>      Waldo proposed

	Yes - however that addresses a _tiny_ piece of the puzzle; and indeed
we're using DESKTOP_LAUNCH for that piece in NLD ( or in fact, more like
'desktop-launch' ).

	The problem is; I've written a prototype new spec. for that (attached),
but havn't been able to grok the URI format / mangling / syntax for the
mailto: URI - which we need to specify to make it actually useful - so
it's essentially rotting unfinished on my disk.

	Also - I'd love to get the setenv ("DESKTOP_LAUNCH=gnome-open") patch
into Gnome 2.8's gnome-session, but - can't face the effort at this
stage in the process; so had essentially given-up on the whole thing for
another 6 months.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--