we need a spec for handling mediums

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 16:29:50 EEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:02:22PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> >"Implement the API primarily as a D-BUS interface. The client library
> >should be a thin convenience layer over the D-BUS interface."
> >
> >This is fine for desktop infrastructure (like ROX-Session, gnome-session,
> >etc), but what about applications? Programs like Gimp, ROX-Filer, etc,
> >can't assume there is a D-BUS daemon running to handle their
> >configuration.
> >
> >(This isn't a problem for RedHat, of course, since you'll start a D-BUS
> >session on login for all desktops, but upstream authors can't assume
> >everyone will be using RedHat.)
>
> Well, if you want a meaningful shared config system I think you have to
> add a dependency on *something* in order to use it. DBUS isn't stable
> yet so any talk of using it in new specs is fairly blue-sky. It might be
> worth revisiting when DBUS is at 1.0.

A dependency on a library is OK (as long as it's not too big), but
dependencies on services are much more trouble. You can't really have the
installation instructions for your software tell users to reconfigure
their session manager to start a D-BUS session daemon before the software
will run (especially on Windows, etc, but also on Linux).

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net