Desktop entry Icons: filename extensions?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Aug 17 10:15:39 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 00:45, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> There seems to be a bit of conflicting (or lacking) information in the
> desktop entry and icon theme specs: should one use filename extensions
> for Icon entries in .desktop files or not?  Ie. if one installs foo.png
> into one of the "correct" icon dirs somewhere, should a .desktop file
> intended to use that icon ideally have "Icon=foo.png" or "Icon=foo"?
>
> Desktop entry spec seems to indicate that one should use "foo.png":
> http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/0.9.4/ar01s04.html
> http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/0.9.4/apa.html
>
> ...while the lookup algorithm in the icon theme spec suggests otherwise:
> http://freedesktop.org/Standards/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-0.8.html#icon_lookup
>
> I assume that the filename extension should be included in the value of
> the .desktop file's Icon key.  Correct?  If so (or if not), perhaps this
> could be clarified in some of the specs?

If you're using icon themed icons you should not give the extension. Its
likely that another theme could use another file format for your icon
(say .svg instead of .png).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a lounge-singing skateboarding cop on his last day in the job. She's a
sarcastic tempestuous femme fatale with someone else's memories. They fight
crime!