Media/Device Type Spec???

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Aug 20 17:25:44 EEST 2004

On Fri Aug 20 14:06:24 2004, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > 2) 'dav' scheme is registered, but means something else, 'davs'
> is > not. [dav: is a URN used for XML namespacing]
>
> This is wrong. dav: is registred both as a xml namespace and as a
> uri
> scheme, see http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.

Are you sure? I understand they're a valid, and registered, URI
scheme, but my impression was that they were only used for XML
namespacing, and no other purpose.

(Actually, I thought XML namespaces were all URIs, but I'm no expert
on XML.)

RFC2518, which defines it, certainly doesn't appear to mandate its
use as anything but a namespace.

WebDAV isn't something I claim any expertise on, however, so I'll
happily stand corrected, and I'm deeply unclear on what RFC2518
section 18 means in the paragraph about DAV:creationdate - is this a
URL to the creationdate property of the current resource? (Implying
"dav" is at best a URL at resource scope, akin to "cid" with email
messages.)

Dave.