Trash mechanism

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Aug 25 13:54:57 EEST 2004

On Wed Aug 25 11:27:10 2004, C. Gatzemeier wrote:
> Genreric and global even for filesystems without native undelete
> feature:
> http://m-arriaga.net/software/libtrash/
>
> I like libtrash because it does not require patching any apps to
> use expicit "tra" or similar calls. I'm sure that if I will ever
> need a file back I would probably got rid of it with an
> unpatched/"aware" app otherwise ;-)

I like it too, in as much as I like any trash/undelete feature [If it
wasn't in subversion, it wasn't important anyway - I have been known
to spend ages fscking disks before discovering those files I
*thought* I'd deleted were simply moved. Sad but true.]

Wouldn't the GPL licensing cause problems preloading it for non-GPL
compatible progams, though?

I don't normally stick up for non-GPL-compatible stuff, especially
closed-source proprietary stuff, but in this instance, I think it
might be better to have a solution which meant that any application
at all could use.

Of course, it's possible I've missed some license exception or simply
misunderstood the GPL in this instance - feel free to correct me if
I'm wrong.

Dave.