Trash mechanism

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Sat Aug 28 22:46:37 EEST 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 21:12, C. Gatzemeier wrote:
> Am Friday 27 August 2004 23:26 schrieb David Faure:
>
> >  (would still need a $uid subdir I guess, to avoid problems in
> > group-writeable dirs)
>
> Maybe private trash cans have one disatvantage. Say when I trash somthing in
> our group directory and you happen to need the file back you might not be
> able to move it back into place.
>
> Everyone with write permission to the original location could fill up the disk
> anyway so wouldn't it make sense to reconstruct the trash directory with
> exactly the same permissions as the original?

But then you have a LOT of different combinations.
If I'm part of N groups, and I delete a file from each group, I would need N different
trashcans... Plus one for the directories that are not group-writable.
I'm not sure this is worth it, it sounds like quite some trouble for a border case to me.
I usually try to design things so that they answer real users' problems, and no user has
ever reported anything like "I want to restore a file from someone else's trashcan" :-)