Trash spec: need decisions on some points

Jerry Haltom jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com
Tue Aug 31 18:36:28 EEST 2004

> This is not the only case when you need an absolute path if you do this.
> Say you have /mnt/hdb1, and a symlink /opt/foobar -> /mnt/hdb1/foobar
> (very common setup). Then you can trash stuff in /opt/foobar that ends
> up in /mnt/hdb1/.Trash/. Same with $HOME/.Trash, its not only used for
> stuff under $HOME, but the whole partition that $HOME is stored on
> (which for many systems is the one and only partition the whole OS is
> on).

It may be just that it's morning, but I don't see how a relative path name
breaks this.

/opt/foobar/ -> /mnt/hdb1/foobar

File in question /opt/foobar/blah.

Follow the link fully, delete it's local counterpart. This would result in
/mnt/hdb1/foobar/blah being moved to /mnt/hdb1/.Trash-$user/.

What's wrong with this?