Trash specification, version 0.1

Jerry Haltom jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com
Tue Aug 31 18:27:21 EEST 2004

> I prefer the uid approach.

I'd like to point out an approach MS uses with their Documents and
Settings directories.

The directories are named with the user name, but lookup of which
directory should be used is done based on the permissions of the
directory. It actually checks each directories owner, and chooses the one
the current user owns.

This makes the directory names readable by humans, but manageable by
computers. Additionally, renaming a user (he gets married, etc), does not
lose his items. This is an important one as I see it. Requiring admin
intervention of trash files on a user rename is a task no other OS
requires. We shouldn't either.