Proposal: System Tools Backends (From gnome-system-tools)

Carlos Garnacho carlosg at gnome.org
Thu Dec 23 10:38:00 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 11:29 -0200, Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 22:15, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> > I'd like to propose the system-tools-backends for freedesktop, it's a
> > set of scripts that:
> >
> > - Parse the system configuration, returning an XML file representing the
> > configuration, this XML is common to all distros
> > - Modify the system configuration accepting an XML file in the same
> > format
>
> Perhaps you'd like to check the Elektra project[1], since they are working
> towards something similar and may be at a more advanced stage already.

As I understand it, it's a different approach, theirs is a try to
standarize file locations, file formats, etc... so they can provide an
API on top. system-tools-backends' approach is to sit on your unix based
OS, recognize it and to know both the locations and formats for doing a
task.

Sincerely, while a standard on file locations and formats would rock, I
sadly don't expect that to happen anytime soon on all
Unices/*BSD/Linux/...

	Carlos