Same icon for multiple user desktops

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Feb 25 14:04:34 EET 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 11:24, Daniel Lopez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been reading the specs, but have not been able to find an answer to
> this. Is there a way to define a .desktop file so that icon appears in every
> user's desktop?  Similar to defining a shared menu, but in this case it
> would be a shared desktop icon.
>
> If this is defined/explained somewhere, please let me know where to find the
> documentation. Otherwise, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish
> this? (other than iterating over /home/*/Desktop and /home/*/.gnome-desktop :)

With KDE >= 3.1 you can put the icon in <kdeprefix>/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/
and it will appear for everyone.
With KDE-CVS-HEAD (future 3.3) users can make such icons disappear from their
own desktop if they want to (this creates a Hidden=true local .desktop file).

But there's no cross-desktop standard for this indeed.