Proposal for a MIME mapping spec

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 8 02:43:11 EEST 2004

Around 0 o'clock on Jul 8, Mike Hearn wrote:

> If we have a process that does nothing but sit around watching
> directories that may never change and regenerate the cache, then we end
> up with lots of such processes.

Well, I wouldn't do it that way, but I suppose it's possible.  Instead, I
suggest that applications which read the database first check timestamps to
see if the cached version is out of date and regenerate the cache at that
point themselves.  A few stats at program startup time to avoid some bug
reports and mildly confused users seems like a good trade to me.

Assuming that files are not rewritten in place means you can use the
directory timestamp to note changes within that directory instead of
stat'ing every file.

-keith