desktop-entry-spec.xml patch

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 00:14:50 EEST 2004

Ray Strode <rstrode at redhat.com> writes:

> I'm not entirely sure making \; an escape sequence like the others is
> the best approach.  For one, ';' has no special meaning for string
> values (only lists), so escaping them for strings seems wasteful.
> Also, I think it may slightly complicate implementations by making ';'
> part of the escape sequence (the escaped character be part of the
> escape sequence (probably not a big deal though)).

We have four options here:

 1) Escape ';' in all strings

 2) Escape ';' in lists only

 3) Not support escaping at all.

 4) Support escaping of ';' only with the MimeType key

I'm least happy with option 3, as mime-types can validly have a
semicolon in them.  However, the rest require a change to other parsers.
Option 4 seems the least intrusive, though it's possible that want
semicolon's in other lists.

> > +      It is expected that for some applications this list could
> >        get longish.
> "longish" sounds a bit informal.

So does the rest of the spec.  (-:
I'll reword it, though.

> > +       The format of the cache mirrors that of the desktop file, and
> > is
> > +       just a list of mime-types to desktop files.
> I'm not sure what you mean by "the format of the cache mirrors that of
> the desktop file".  The cache file is just key=value pairs, yes?  So it
> lacks a group header, and has other differences from a desktop file,
> yes?  I think maybe instead of "mirrors" the phrase "somewhat similar"
> or something along those lines would be a little clearer.

We should probably include a header anyway.  It gives us a chance to
move to different formats for the cache.

> > +      <para>
> > +       There is also a preference list to determine preferred
> > +       application of a given MIME Type.  It defines the 'default'
> > +       application to handle a given MIME-Type.  It has the same
> > format
> > +       as the cache list.
> > +      </para>
> > +      <programlisting>mime/type:desktop-id.desktop;</programlisting>
> I think that : is supposed to be an = .

Bah.  Too much time spent doing ldap recently has confused the syntax in
my brain.  Will fix.

Thanks,
-Jonathan