Confg and/or scheduling subsystems (crontab, at) and the desktop

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at
Fri Jul 23 15:34:08 EEST 2004

Am Thursday 22 July 2004 20:55 schrieb Avery Pennarun:
> Shameless plug: you could use UniConf for this by creating a special
> "crontab" backend, and then even access it via gconf if you wanted.

Tried to get an idea of what it does. Looks quite cool from first impression.
I am not sure weather UniConf assumes to be in "authoritative control" of
config files. From the Note that it can't handle commments, it would seem it
works in a rather intrusive way.

You wrote you found it has similarity to ACAP. ACAP was also brought up here
in the past thread on a unifying configuration API. Nobody seemed to know
about UniConf though. Did you come accross Config4GNU (CFG)? There sure seems
to be a lot of overlap here too. One interesting thing I have not found yet
in UniConf seems to be separating syntax/semantic handling (syntax parsers/
sematic description files (config meta data)). This allows easier
maintainablilty by keeping the description files synced within the app's
cvs/packages, and not requreing recompilation on each update.

Also there is support to include meta-data that helps frontends to dynamically
create the (G)UIs. Much like it is envisioned by the proposed scheduling
subsystem, too.

I'd love to hear how you think they compare.