RPMs and *.desktop files

Julius Schwartzenberg julius at zgod.cjb.net
Tue Mar 2 00:15:26 EET 2004

Hi,
I'm creating RPM packages and I want to include *.desktop files with
them that are automaticly installed in the correct directory.
Because the directory can differ from one distro to another, I already
figured I needed to do the creation of the files in the postinstall
section of the RPM.
When detecting where to put the files, the default XDG_DATA_DIRS lists
/usr/local/share as more important than /usr/share though. I'm putting
the files of my program in /usr and not /usr/local, so /usr would also
seem more appropriate for the *.desktop files.
How can I properly detect where the *.desktop files should go?
Thanks in advance,
Julius