RPMs and *.desktop files

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Wed Mar 3 21:15:18 EET 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:40:17PM +0100, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
> >^^^ It might not be a good idea to make rpm packages that try to work on
> >multiple distros.  YMMV.
>
> I'm a little surprised by this. I thought one of the goals of these
> standards was to help making Linux distros and desktop environments more
> compatible with each other.

Desktop environments: yes.

Vendor implementations: no.

You can't force the Linux distributions, BSDs, Solaris and all the other
platforms supported by the desktops to have the same filesystem layout,
binary compatibility, equal library versions.. any work in that area would
be platform-specific, and as such inappropriate - at least for XDG/fd.o.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 2/17 Blink-182, 2/29 Anti-Flag 3/5  Anti-Flag/Heideroosjes
cap at capsi.com | 3/19 The Offspring, 3/24 Good Riddance/None More Black