elylevy at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Mar 4 23:27:05 EET 2004
I want to suggest making a standart for bidi on desktop.
As someone who has Hebrew for mother langauge I notice
the small and not so small diffrances between
kde/gnome/mozilla/opengoffice and so on.
I think forming a group to work on a standart would make free desktop
much more atractive for bidi speakers.
below few notes made by dov (one on the writers of fribidi).
* Logical vs visual cursor movement. (What happens when you press
the right arrow key?)
* How do you place the cursor with the mouse at boundry points?
* The display of the cursor at boundry points where the direction
* How should zero width unicode control characters be displayed?
* Perhaps there should be a status bar that displays the name of
the zero width character when you move over it?
* How should zero width control characters be input? How are they
selected and erased?
* Should there be a "code-view" mode that will show the
raw logical sequence?
* Should bidi levels be shown? If so, how? Different colors of
background? Different underlines?
* Should it be possible to draw a special character at the
boundry point that indicates if it is a "source" point
(the two different directions diverge there) or a "sink"
point (the two different directions converge)?
More information about the xdg