Would like to join a project

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Mar 14 21:17:32 EET 2004

Hej,

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 19:11, Runi Simonsen wrote:
> Would like to join the HAL project if possible? To be more specific
> something that has a relation to Gnome and partly interfacing downwards
> to the kernel if possible.

Well, one way to get involved is to get HAL working with the devices and
distribition you use - I should mention HAL depends on a lot of new
components such as the Linux 2.6 kernel, dbus and udev which are not
fully integrated into distributions yet. So it might take some effort to
get working.

Once you're get that working, you can start looking at the code and TODO
list (see doc/TODO in hal CVS) and start submitting bugs / patches to
bugzilla.freedesktop.org.

Another, potentially easier, way to contribute is to start integrating
HAL (using libhal) into higher level libraries / components /
applications / desktop environments / file managers. You could look at
some of the work Robert Love did on gnome-volume-manager as a starting
point.

Thanks,
David