Privacy

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Mar 17 18:26:41 EET 2004

Hi,

Jody, sorry, I'll try to recap succinctly:

-- User is running gnome or kde desktop at home, and shares the
   desktop with the rest of the family.
-- User wants to password-protect thier gnucash data sets (and/or
   thier word docs and or thier pornography/or whatever) so that
   the rest of the family (or at least the kids) don't get access.

-- To acheive the above, logging in/out of gdm/xdm/kdm sessions
   is impractical for a variety of reasons.
-- To achieve the above, running multiple x servers & xlock
   is impratical/inelegant.
-- To acheive the above, throwing the burden on the app writer
   leads to hacks and inconsistent GUI's, as each app implements
   thier own obscure, hard-to-maintain solution.
-- To acheive the above, calling it a "sysadmin issue" or
   "solving" it with a HOWTO is impractical/inelegant.

Conclude: there needs to be a standardized, architected,
desktop-seal-of-approval'ed way of dealing with granular
security levels from the gnome or KDE desktops.

-- linas