Permissions on key directories/files.

George jirka at 5z.com
Tue Mar 23 18:27:02 EET 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:18:07PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> so while i don't really like it, putting it in ?dm and xinit (which
> would need setuid root ...) seems like the best option. of course one
> could make them call a script (Xprepare?), but i'm not sure this buys us
> that much.

So far it's two directories in /tmp that we're talking about.  I wonder if
we're not getting overexcited about this.  I will most definately put the
/tmp/.X11-unix creation into gdm as well (same as the ice dir).  It would
also make sense if distributions had an init script that created those dirs
on boot and the /tmp cleanup script should be aware of them as well.  A small
suid c program that xinit calls could also be added for those people still
using startx.  Beyond that I think we're pretty set.  In any case note that
putting stuff in the ?dm doesn't add any suid stuff since ... the ?dm already
runs as root anyway.  I think there's no harm in doing it in many places,
especially since there are liable to be many distributions/systems which have
different setups and installations.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.