add media type to hal

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Mar 25 17:21:00 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 10:10 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 10:02, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> Hi, hadess.
>
> > I didn't bring up the idea, I whinged ;)
>
> You inspired :)

I'm (a)muse(d). :)

> > CDS_XA_* aren't really iso9660. They're a bit like mixed CDs, the only
> > difference between the 2 is what the main purpose is for the CD: CD
> > Extra has a data track at the end (main purpose is audio playback), the
> > Mixed CD has it at the front (main purpose is the data, with bonus
> > tracks at the end, like some old games or magazine CDs used to have).
> >
> > BTW, CD Plus is the old name for CD Extra, a Mixed CD isn't a CD Plus :)
>
> I always thought "CD Plus!" was what Microsoft called a mixed CD.  My
> audio CD's that have data tracks on the end show up as CDS_MIXED.

I wouldn't know how the kernel detects them...
But Microsoft seems to know both names:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305924

> Anyhow, I understand that CDS_XA_* is not iso9660.  Should I change that
> to "data" or do you have another suggestion?

This page has some explanations of the different kinds of Mixed mode
CDs:
http://www.indigorose.com/webhelp/ams50/How_do_I/Create_a_mixed-mode_CD.
htm

I think it would be best to tag the CD Extra as mixed as well.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
You don't have to be mad to work here, in fact we ask you to complete a
medical questionnaire to ensure that you are not.