hal: remove block.block_size

Robert Love rml at ximian.com
Sun Mar 28 20:51:52 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 12:44, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Well, basically we use the device files a lot for e.g. stuff like
> capabilities on optical drives - we also need it to poll removable
> drives for media since the kernel won't do it for us (the thread on
> linux-hotplug a few months back).

Ah, good point.

I still am weary over opening all of my hard drives, though, even if it
is read-only. ;-)

> Therefore, we really need to have read permission to the device file and
> that's why hald runs as root per default (there is some code for running
> as a dedicated user but I believe this is commented out atm). Now,
> setting and maintaining these permissions involves policy decisions and
> is thus distribution specific and thus outside the scope of hal.

Actually, I do not have any problem with HAL running as root if we need
it to.  Maybe we should make the decision: root or non-root?

Root means:

	- if we add callouts, they can run as root, which is very
	  needed
	- hal can do things like open device files, etc. to get all of
	  the information it needs

Non-root means:

	- potentially more secure, cleaner?

Thoughts?