menu-spec: Where shall we store user-specific modifications?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed May 19 21:04:46 EEST 2004

Hey,

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 19:57, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it, the base directory spec
> (http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html)
> addresses your concerns about where to store user modifications.

	Ah, I missed the fact that $XDG_CONFIG_HOME was implied by the
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS reference when Chris asked me about this on irc. That's
makes sense now.

	So, user modifications can be in[2]:

  1) ~/.config/menus/applications.menu - this will completely override
     /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

  2) ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/*.menu these will get merged
     in with <DefaultMergeDirs/>

Thanks,
Mark.

[2] - Assuming the $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment
variables are unset.