colour management system (CMS)

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Wed Nov 3 21:30:53 EET 2004

Kai,

Open source desktops need serious color management, that needs to work
end to end (from scanners and cameras, to monitors, to output devices
(film and paper).

So far we have components that are strictly worrying about one part of
the problem, and this end-to-end view has not been taken.  Some of the
existing work in the area (e.g. X's Xcms system) are myopic and only
worry about one piece of the problem (in that case, the window system,
and worse, it is 10 years out of date and almost certainly not useful at
least in its current form).

Some project like littleCMS may be serious components to solving the
e2e color problem.

The challenge therefore is to get the different projects working
together to solve the overall problem (from various applications,
to X itself, to Cairo, etc.).

So the first question is how to get all these projects to start
talking to each other to start on a complete solution, and stop
stovepiping in the individual projects.

			Regards,
				- Jim