Writing Shared Libraries, first draft

Stuart Anderson anderson at netsweng.com
Fri Nov 5 00:09:55 EET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> > Symbol versioning is pushed mostly for the metadata
> > it adds. It lets RPM
> > and the dynamic linker know about minor versions,
> > which is a good thing.
> > I don't know any other way to do that.
>
> is this something specific to rpm only or can dpkg and
> other packaging systems do the same thing?

symbol versions happens in shared libraries, and the executables that
use them. The runtime loader processes them and makes sure everything
gets put together the right way at runtime.

RPM & dpkg really don't have any thing to do with it,and I don't think
they even know about the symbol versions.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at netsweng.com
Network & Software Engineering                   http://www.netsweng.com/
1024D/37A79149:                                  0791 D3B8 9A4C 2CDC A31F
                                                 BD03 0A62 E534 37A7 9149