mime-type icons, a proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 17:28:27 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 16:16 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 01 October 2004 15:18, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > > I don't see problems with treating them as regular MIME types. The only
> > > difference is that your file-type detection function would never return
> > > them. I wouldn't restrict it to icons only.
> > >
> > > It allows the user to express things like "find all wordprocessor
> > > documents", regardless of whether they are made with kword, MSWord,
> > > openoffice of abiword.
> >
> > Hmm. But if file detection wouldn't return them, how would you search on
> > them?
>
> Your file-type detection returns a type and then you ask "is this type a
> wordprocessor document", and then it will return yes or no, depending on
> whether the type inherits from the generic wordprocessor document type.

Thats not right. Right now the "inheritance" in the mime database is
specifies actual physical compatibility. E.g. application/python-src
inherits from text/plain. We don't want to overload this with another
type of inheritance ("is a file used by the same sort of application").

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an impetuous vegetarian filmmaker on the wrong side of the law. She's a
psychotic goth schoolgirl with only herself to blame. They fight crime!