[perhaps OT and already discussed] usability standard/recommendation/guildline?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Oct 17 14:38:03 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 16:05, Lauri Watts wrote:
> Howerver: You could sort out the vi vs emacs, C vs C++, tabs vs spaces,
> creation vs evolution, and when you've done all that, spend a while proving
> humanoid life exists on other planets, before you will get KDE and GNOME to
> agree on button order in dialogs.

I've often wondered if this one might actually be pretty simple in some cases
to do with just an environment variable or something.

At least in the common case on the KDE side, when using the standard dialogs
and whatnot it would be possible to do this in the libraries.  I would think
that when running KDE applications on a GNOME desktop that it would be
desirable to switch the button order, likewise viceversa with GNOME.

The question that's kind of left hanging is that there would certainly be
cases where the default dialogs weren't used.  I don't know if it would just
make things more of a mess if there were a few dialogs in a given program
that didn't use the default button ordering.

-Scott