Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Wed Oct 20 23:40:27 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 19:54, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> > But what have I missed? Explain for me how having
> > the name standardized would
> > worsen these cultural/national problems.
>
> I think its pretty clear already.
>
> You want to standardise on A, B and C where A might
> not exist tommorow. B might not be called B in all
> places. C might be part of D some time in the future

Aha, and that's something different, AFAICT. One thing is cultural problems,
which the spec doesn't touch but let the icon theme creators take care of(and
that's how it makes those problems easier to deal with).

Another is if the country codes will change, as you say. But isn't ISO 639
stable enough? While the opinions on countries, and the "interpretation" of
what flags that goes to what countries, and hence the interpretation of ISO
639, will change, it doesn't really matter to the spec, since it doesn't
touch implementation(how the flag should look like, if at all).

One reason to why I want this in the spec is exactly because it is subjective.
Not in the sense that people want to give flags a certain style/look, but
that they want to control the motives. When it's in the spec, it's not hard
coded, and people can do what they like; ship a democratic manifoldness of
flags, or ship a theme which exclude all or some flags, or invent a new theme
which overrides an inherited theme with particular opinions.

AFAICT.

Cheers,

		Frans