Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 14:29:49 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 09:39 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> * Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> [Oct 21. 2004 09:17]:
> > To avoid further arguing on why flags are good/bad, I'll re-state the
> > reason I think flags should not be in:
> >
> > If the standard mandates flags, neither Gnome nor Red Hat will ship
> > anything based on this (this is the policy of both organizations, and
> > likely many other organizations), thus such a standard will not be used
> > by a large group of the target audience. Lets not argue their respective
> > decisions here, as this has already been argued to death in each
> > organization[1]. Thus, it would be good for the deployment of this
> > standard if it didn't contain flags.
>
> I think I will stick to the logic that they are inappropriate. Saying
> that "RedHat and Gnome" won't ship these doesn't make a difference in
> the world to me and is not a logical reason to not accept them.

If this standard is not interested in working with Gnome, I'm fine with
that. Then it can say whatever it want and contain whatever it wants (as
long as it doesn't claim to be supported by Gnome or something like "all
free desktops"). I'm not sure why such a standard would be interesting
to discuss on xdg-list though.

However, I thought the idea was to come up with a common standard for
icon themes that both KDE and Gnome could use. If that is indeed the
goal, then not breaking the policies of these organizations (such that
they wouldn't use the standard) would be a good idea.

> If RedHat and Gnome jumped off a bridge would you?

This is flawed logic. I'm not telling you to not ship flags, feel free
to ship whatever flags you want.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a benighted skateboarding cat burglar living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's a foxy bisexual former first lady living homeless in New York's
sewers. They fight crime!