Service invitation standard

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Fri Oct 22 00:39:03 EEST 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:49pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I think what would be easiest is if there was a way to map certain URLs to
> mimetypes, and then from there the normal file association handling could
> take over. So e.g. if you could say URIs that start with "atlantik:" map to
> "uri/atlantik" and when you click on such URI we start whatever application
> is associated with that mimetype.
>
> I guess the simple version of that is that for every URI-scheme that we
> don't know we just try to see if we have something registered for
> "uri/<scheme>" and if so throw the URI into that application.

Right. I suppose the specs for KDE's .protocol would remain.

atlantik.protocol
[Protocol]
exec=atlantik "%u"

http.protocol
[Protocol]
exec=kio_http

But exec should be replaced with a lookup in the system cache of .desktop
files specifying something like:

URIs=atlantik

(Actually monopd is the logical name, oh well)

This solution would also be perfect to consistently configure preferences for
mailto: URIs.

It would bloat the URI namespace with a new entry for each and every type of
application protocol with invitations, though.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
cap at capsi.com | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun