~/.etc (was: Home directories.)

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Wed Oct 27 03:26:53 EEST 2004

Am Tuesday 26 October 2004 14:50 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 13:11, C. Gatzemeier wrote:

> > XDG_DATA_HOME defaulting to $HOME/.local/share raises another question.

> It's the user's equivalent of /usr/local
> Note that /usr is often imported over the network rather than local.

Allright, from that direction it is understandable where it comes from.

I see mainly two possible ways to stack those dirs in network setups:
Either /usr is imported from a server and /usr/local is actually a local
partition with machine specific apps.
Or /usr is a local partition and /usr/local is imported as the "stuff
installed for/on the *local site/network*".

The question probably becomes: "Do we also need this kind of stacking within
the user specific scope?

Assuming $HOME would not need "local" mounts below it, wouldn't ~/.usr with
~/.usr/share for things common to different apps below it seem appropriate?

Well now that I think of it, with user mountable filesystems (like lufs?)
mounting say your things from your home computer or your usbkey to
~/.usr/local could still work.

What about considering ~/.usr as default for $XDG_DATA_HOME and mentioning the
use of /share subdirectories for common things in the spec (for themes,
icons, trash etc.).

The next question is if it does make any sense to distinguish between /.usr
and /.var below $HOME or if both could be combined maybe in ~/.data. OTOH
maybe there really is a reason for separation or /.var is not necessary for
the spec because things that would go in there tend to go directly under
$HOME.

Kind Regards,
Christian