KWIG Qt->Gtk porting layer and merging main loops.

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Wed Oct 27 23:29:20 EEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:06:05PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Avery wrote:
> > If we can manage to agree on a common standard, that would be perfect.
> > I think libevent should be that standard.  Just grab it and use it; it's
> > the basic model that everything else is based on anyway.  I'm pretty
> > sure glib's mainloop stuff is sufficiently flexible that you can
> > probably do this pretty transparently.  Qt, I'm not so sure.  Something
> > about QSocketNotifier.
>
> You know the main loop abstraction layer library liboop, don't you?
>
> http://www.liboop.org/

I didn't know about this, but it looks good.  Awfully similar to libevent,
though, despite the author's claims to the contrary.

I'm sure nobody cares, but I'll go on record as saying that if
freedesktop.org can convince *either* Qt or Glib to make their default
mainloop based on either libevent or liboop, I'll be happy to do the same
with wvstreams :)  (This is easy because it's more obviously useful for my
networking library to work with someone else's widget library than it is for
a widget library to work with someone else's widget library.  But if we get
some critical mass going around this, perhaps the remaining widget libraries
will follow suit.)

Common File|Open dialogs, here I come!

Have fun,

Avery