Trash spec 0.2, technical questions

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Wed Sep 1 17:36:04 EEST 2004

Am Wednesday 01 September 2004 13:28 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 13:10 +0200, C. Gatzemeier wrote:

> > Was anything said about the go up in the tree as long as you have the
> > right permissions to create a valid /Trash approach?
>
> It makes it very hard to locate the trash dirs and requires a way to
> save where trash directories are stored.

Ah, thanks. Yes, now I remember you wrote how gnome is currently short-cutting
the "find-trash-directory".

Do you think it may make sence for "unprivileged trashing" to not search much
for an appropriate place but to default to the current directory and update a
personal cache/index for trashed files?

> Gnome currently has an index
> like that, and its often causing problems with automounters, nfs mounts,
> unmounted filesystems etc.

Hm, I see. There seems to be a potential relybility issue no matter where we
put the info though. Hopfully some sort of hal or media/device type spec
could allow a smart way to solve this. Preventing surprises.

I looked at your list of good and bad things again. What do you think about
the following list of possible ways for improvments:

- "full path trashes" (permissions, orig. locations always reconstructable)
- "timestamping" (name collisions, date of deletion always reconstructable)
- /Trash optionaly hidden or not (appearance in different UIs / OSs)
- have separate trash storage and indexing spec parts (the former getting more
centralized as privileges rise, the latter getting more shared as privileges
rise)