Trash spec 0.2, technical questions

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Sep 1 17:59:46 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 16:17, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > Yes. Thus the discusion of a setuid app to set the right permissions on
> > this directory.
>
> That is not going to work on the important stuff: remote mounts.

When the creation (or use) of a .Trash-$uid directory on a mountpoint fails,
we can always use fallback: refusing trashing (seems to be Nautilus's preference)
or copying the data to $HOME/.Trash (as I implemented in KDE).
So border cases that fail don't matter much. But indeed a setuid app
failing over NFS isn't a border case. However for such cases, a .Trash created
by the admin does the job.
But that means we need a rather complex set of things to try:
1) create $topdir/.Trash-$uid as user
2) use $topdir/.Trash/$uid after root created .Trash
3) use a setuid app to create .Trash
?

Since copying data to $HOME is a good enough fallback IMHO, I am fine
with 3) being left out.