Trash: base dir in $HOME

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Fri Sep 3 03:19:48 EEST 2004

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:47:05 +0400 Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
: (2) do we follow the FreeDesktop.org base dir spec? The arguments
: about evenrually moving it to $HOME/.var/Trash seem justified.

By all means at least try to be coherent with this spec. As pointed out
earlier trash isn't really cache data but I think it would be best to
use the cache dir anyway. Introducing a new dir/variable in the basedir
scheme would seem to increase complexity more then really solving
something (this is due to the fact that trash is probably a data class
of its own). Thus I would favor using XDG_CACHE_HOME over XDG_DATA_HOME
because when I for example need my diskspace I start deleting stuff in
the cache and this is also the moment I'm going to want to delete my
thrash, while all the data stuff needs to be preserved. So I feel while
trash is a data type of its own it looks more like cache then like
permanent data.
But I would favor any coherence with the basedir spec over hardcoding
~/.Trash.

--
   )   (     Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus]                | |0| |
   :   :     http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus    | | |0|