Repost: Icon Names Standard

Томислав Марковски tome at users.ossm.org.mk
Fri Sep 10 10:22:16 EEST 2004

Hello,

I posted yesterday one message, but I didn't recieved the message, so I
figured somethings went wrong and I'm reposting it.
I asked if there were any _well_ documented standards for icon naming in
GNOME and KDE. I need this specs for an application I'm developing that
builds icon themes. Currently, I've gathered the icon names from existing
themes, but there are so many differences from theme to theme (ex. some
apps on different distros use different icons, like firefox or
firefox-icon).
Also the stock icons behave somewhat peculiar. I noticed this: when I put
gtk-go-forward/back icon in a stock folder, the icons don't seem to be
used, however gtk-go-up/down are used. Why is this (stock icons are not
replaced by the current gtk theme)?
Has anyone looked into this issue? What sources can I use to at least come
to some solid documents? I've found some unofficial documents/tutorials,
but all of them are far from complete.
How/where does a theme look for an icon of a specific application? Why
isn't always the binary file name used as icon name (ex.
gnome-panel-screenshot uses gnome-screenshot icon).

Thank you all in advance.

Tomislav

P.S. If anyone is interested, the program is called GNOME Iconset Builder.
Initially supported GNOME, but KDE support is on its way, at least when I
find some solid info to unite them. It's written for Mono/Gtk#.
Homepage:
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?gib
Screenie:
http://users.ossm.org.mk/~tome/gib.png