Trash spec 0.3 ; Samba/CIFS shares?

Lars Hallberg spam at micropp.se
Fri Sep 10 11:05:17 EEST 2004

David Faure wrote:

>>>I googled around and I learned that you can indeed map UIDs when mounting an
>>>NFS share. OK, but what guarantee is there that the mapped uids have the same
>>>username on each end?
>>>IMHO with network shares we can't get it right in all cases anyway...
>>>

>>This might make it work in most case:
>>
>>If .Trash/$uid/ and .Trash_$uid dont exist or is not owned by You, check
>>alla .Trash/*/ and .Trash_$uid if You own any, then use that (possably
>>renaming it if possably).
>>

>This is slow, and requires read permissions in the .Trash dir, which we might
>not want, as Alexander pointed out. The whole idea was to know in advance
>the name of the trash dir to use, as opposed to trying them all.

Yes, I understand that. Thats why trying .Trash/$uid/ and .Trash_$uid
first is good, to cover the most cases. Only the first time or when uid
changed or when accesing a net share with different uids the time
consuming way is needed. Rename is good to prevent it from being needed
again. Only on a network share frekvently accesed from different uids
this need to be a common operation. But it do complicate implementations :-(

Anb in case we dont have read permissions on .Trash it is a problem.

/LaH