Icon-mime type associations

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 10:50:26 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 18:48 -0700, Ryan Gammon wrote:

> Ideally, we'd like to see the icon lookup code:
> - look for an appropriate document icon in the current icon theme under
> a standardized name
> - if none is available, look to .desktop file for the default app for
> that mime type for a icon filename
> - search icon themes & hicolor as ususal
>
> One possible way to do this would be to add a line to the .desktop file
> like:
>
> MimeType=audio/x-pn-real-audio
> MimeIcon=realplay-audio-ra.png
>
> ... where the order of the mime types matches the order of the icons.
>
> Some logic would also have to be added to gnome-vfs and the kde
> equivalent to do a .desktop file lookup for mime type icon names.
>
> What do you folks think?

But desktop files are per-app. Not per type. You will have several
desktop files supporting each mime type. Not to mention that this
requires all apps that show icons for files to read and parse all
desktop files, which is slow and uses lots of memory.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an obese sweet-toothed grifter for the 21st century. She's a cynical
out-of-work doctor on her way to prison for a murder she didn't commit. They
fight crime!