Desktop Notifications Spec 0.3

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Fri Sep 17 11:22:48 EEST 2004

> One reason not to do this client side is if you want the audio synced
> with the notification.  I don't think it is a big deal not to have it in
> the spec but it would be a nice optional piece since clients would be
> able to decide if they wish to play the sound or have it synced with the
> notification.

The spec doesn't allow you to delay notifications, the assumption is/was
that as soon as you send the Notify request it appears on the screen.

In practice there may be a couple of seconds delay on some machines
which have just done a large compile or whatever while stuff is loaded
from disk. But I don't think that's worth putting audio into the server.

On most machines which aren't constantly flushing stuff out to disk and
with the icon theme speed improvements that were talked about, there's
no reason why notifications shouldn't appear nearly instantly.

thanks -mike